Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Fire, Fire, and FIRE

Between the hours of 11:00 A. M. Christmas Eve and noon on Christmas Day, we managed to have 3 fires in our house and our house is still standing. Here is a little synopsis of each:

FIRST FIRE: If you will recall, it was very cold here on Christmas Eve so before DW left for work, he lit a fire in our wood stove. Now we love that wood stove and use it to basically heat our entire house which is a good thing right. Well, the only problem is when the wind blows 40 mph and it is wet wind, the smoke has a tendency to come back down and spill into our house. This is what happened on Thursday. I was at my Mom's helping get the food ready for Christmas Eve night and my sister has stayed at my house with the girls. She calls and says the house is filling up with smoke. I call DW and he heads home to see what he can do about it. Well, sometimes, if you can get the fire hot enough, it will take the smoke back so he tried adding more wood. That only seemed to exacerbate the problem so then he decides he just needs to get the burning wood and coals out of the house. (This is not his first rodeo.) My sister said when she saw a burning log on my kitchen tile, she quickly moved the girls back to the back room. Because also I think DW was spewing a few expletives. Anyway, he managed to get it taken care of but we smelt like we had been at a campfire all weekend and my house smelled like we hosted INSIDE the house.
FIRE TWO: Christmas morning I managed to start a fire in our oven. I had put together a breakfast casserole the day before and all that needed to be done was to bake it. Well, on the 23rd we had the girls' family birthday and our good friend Amy brought the cutest Frosty miramac (spelling ?) plate with fabulous banana nut bread on it. Well, you know how things get crazy and you run out of room on your cabinets so you sometimes put things in your oven just to get them out of the way? Well, that is all good and fine except don't preheat the oven and leave that stuff in there. You will have melted and burning Frosty all over your oven racks and the bottom of your oven. You will also have to scrape him out - which is no easy task, just ask DW - before you can cook the breakfast casserole. All turned out well in the end. Everyone loved the casserole but poor Frosty is in hard melted junks probably at the bottom of the dumpster.
FIRE THREE: After the fire in the oven and before opening presents - my girls sleep late no matter if Santa has been there - DW decided to add more wood to our stove. As he was doing this, a coal fell out onto his oven mitt and managed to burn a hole through it.
I have pictures of my oven fire that hopefully I can post sometime but if you want to come by and smell my new parfume -Smoke`you are more than welcome to but I don't suggest you buy any for yourself. It is way overrated.
By the way, DW is a fire bug and has always loved fires but I think he maybe had enough this weekend. Happy New Year.

5 comments:

cheri said...

Oh my goodness gracious!!!!!!! Nothing smells worse than something baked in the oven that wasn't supposed to be baked!!! We always leave a pie tin on my stovetop burners for our breakfast muffins and once I turned on the wrong burner and the tin caught fire! It smelled for days! Glad no serious damage was done...it was entertaining to read about! Happy New Year...

Shelley said...

OH MY!!! I am so thankful you guys and your home are OK :) Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!!

Amy said...

For a second there I thought I was reading the Griswold's blog!!:)

Merry Christmas and glad you guys escaped 3 fires in a row!!:)

Unknown said...

wow, three fires.... yikes! i almost had a fire like your fire #2. i preheatd the oven with a pan of leftover cornbread still in there from the night before. must be something that runs in the wenzel blood... but mom does it too!!!

Liz said...

Yeah, it's happened to me too... the leaving stuff in the oven part anyway. I got it from my mom, who I learned to "hide" stuff in there from. We've got a lot of other great qualities though :) Glad they were all contained... we know all about uncontrolled fires :)